6 Digital Spring Cleaning Tips to Stay Organized and Secure
Posted by Conner Williams | Mar 1, 2023
Spring cleaning is a time when people take inventory of their homes and possessions and clean out any unnecessary clutter. It’s also a great time to do the same thing for your digital life by making sure your data is protected, passwords are updated, and app and program use is reevaluated. Check out these tips to stay on top of your digital spring cleaning:
- Delete old or unused files from your computer and empty the Recycle Bin. You may have files there or in your Downloads folder from years ago!
- Audit the apps on your smartphone and consider deleting those you no longer use.
- Check to see if your smartphone apps and computer programs are on the most recent software version. This ensures they run smoothly and have up-to-date security protocols.
- Did your bank recently send you a new debit or credit card after an old one expired? Make sure to update accounts linked to that old card with the new card’s information to ensure any scheduled or automatic payments go through. Your bank may even identify recurring payments that are scheduled with your old card for you.
- Consider changing the passwords for your most important accounts, like email and online banking, to make sure they’re secure behind strong passwords.
- Did you sign up for a streaming service to watch a particular show, or maybe for football season to watch your favorite teams? If you don’t want to continue paying for a streaming subscription or only want it for a certain time of the year – like football season – you can cancel most services without a penalty and sign up again when you want.
Go back to news feed.